tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 27 12:31:58 1999

Re: nID cha' attn:KLBG

First off, thanks very much for your help. I think I am
getting somewhat more of the hang of this.

"Andeen, Eric" wrote:

> DraQoSvaD jIjang:

> DaH jIQochnIS. Klingon does not treat abstract concepts like "life" or
> "honor" or "warfare" as plural. They are singular. That's just the way
> Klingon works.

Well then I will fall back to an insaity defense.

> After this discussion, I think the best way to phrase this is:
>
> veS 'oH yIn'e' - Life is warfare.
>
> The <Hoch> is unnecessary. It just confuses things. If you really want to
> keep it, then put it *after* the noun:
>
> veS 'oH yIn Hoch'e' - All of life is warfare; the entirety of life is
> warfare.
>
> <Hoch> placed after a noun means "All of X; the entirety of X".

And before the noun it means "all" if the noun is plural,
and "each" if the noun is singular. Correct?

> And I suggest <Quj 'oH veS'e'>, or maybe <Quj 'oH veS Hoch'e'>. Same reasons
> as above.
maj.

> >> <vaj>, not <vas>.
> > De'wI' ngej veQlargh.

> >> lu'.
>
> > ??? "the/a game has four parts." Should be "'ay'mey"
>
> Actually, <loS 'ay' ghaj Quj> is fine, and may even be preferable. Plural
> suffixes are usually optional in Klingon, and with a number, they become
> redundant.

Ah.. okay that makes sense.

> > Each of the above is a item that all games have in common.
> > Pieces, playing area, rules, and players. It is a numbered
> > list.
>
> I could not tell it was a list from the text. Here is my suggestion:
>
> Quj 'ay'mey:
> 1: Quj yoS
> 2: chutmey mIwmey ghap
> 3: QujwI'
> 4: ???
Actually the first one is Quj 'ay'mey or game pieces. I
could not find a word for tokens, and I am trying to get
across the concept of pieces, like chess pieces or checkers.

> >> Hoch qo' 'oH Qujmaj yoS'e'
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Actually, this one needs the same correction with <Hoch> as above: the
> <Hoch> should go after the nouns:
>
> poH logh je Hoch 'oH che'ronmaj'e'
> qo' Hoch 'oH Qujmaj yoS'e'

qatlho'

> I don't want to get into a discussion of the subtleties of the "pronoun as
> to be" construction, so I'll just say that pronoun-noun doesn't work while
> noun-pronoun does. Klingon just works that way.

And it is in black and white on page TKD p68.

> That is entirely up to you. If you have more questions, I'll be happy to
> answer them. If not, good job.

Oh I have a million of them :) But one right off the bat.

I got my first copy of HolQeD the other day. On page 1 at
the bottom, it gives a phrase in tlhIngan Hol. Being
somewhat new at this I had some difficulty translating it,
as the first word appears to be a noun which is treated as a
verb. Is this very clever pun intentional or a typo?

Ben (a.k.a. DraQoS)

Back to archive top level