tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 24 19:31:26 1999

pIqaD IS written from center out

>From: Pillow <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: HolQeD Dec '92
>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:03:46 -0800

Pillow: On page 17 of HolQeD Vol 1, Number 4 ; the Great Palindrome Contest
the text mentions that the pIqaD is written from the center outward.
Is there any other canon source describing this? Any descriptions or
examples to study?
Is this opinion, hypothesis or accepted by the KLI as the only correct usage
concerning pIqaD glyph substitution for romanized tlhIngan Hol?

Satlho' for any insights to my query.
Ms. Pillow / pIl'o' tai-GowRon

>David: There's no CANON source that states this (at least, AFAIK). IMHO,
>pIqaD it written with lines centered simply for visual effect. "Normal"
>writtings (whatever those are) are probably done from the left-hand margin.

In short, we don't know exactly HOW pIqaD is written.

quljIb

ngghoy: Actually Pillow, David's response wasn't exactly true. In fact we DO
know "how" the pIqaD is written. There IS an interview with Okrand by Jeff
Lee in the very first HolQeD where the pIqaD is mentioned (Vol.1, No.1, pg.
11).

Just in case you don't have a copy, here is the "relevant" dialogue in
regard to your questions:

Okrand: "Klingon goes from the center outward.."

Lee: "So Klingon goes from the center outwards?

Okrand: "Yes. Sometimes when you see writing on the screen, you'll see it
start in the center and go outward."

So here you have another Canon source which describes and thus confirms that
the pIqaD is indeed written from the center out. In addition, since it is
stated by Okrand himself, it would naturally follow that this is the
accepted usage by the KLI.

As for examples to study, maybe you should follow "the writing on the
screen". However, where this occurs, I do not know.