tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 21 19:45:45 1999

RE: nID cha' attn:KLBG

jatlh Ben:

> Greetings.

> This is my second attempt at posting to here. Due to
> the response to my earlier attempt, I am attempting
> to translate some of my own stuff. So I offer a poem
> (although the application of that term to this work
> is left as an exercise for the reader:) ) It is a
> work in progress.

I think you need to go through TKD section 6.3, which talks about using
pronouns to translate the English "to be" concept.

> Quj'a' DraQoS'vo

Nouns with type five suffixes like <-vo'> go at the beginning of a sentence.
This is not a sentence - just a fragment - but the type five suffix should
still go first, I think.

> veS Hoch yIn

Warfare, everything, life . . . I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

I think maybe you meant <noH 'oH Hoch yIn'e'> - "Each life is a war". Note
that <noH> refers to a specific conflict, while <veS> refers to the general
concept of warfare. So you would probably say <noH 'oH yIn'e'> for "A life
is a war" versus <veS 'oH yIn'e'> for "Life (in general) is war".

> Quj Hoch veS

Every war plays? This should be <Quj 'oH Hoch noH'e'> - "Each war is a
game".

> bIQujchugh bISuD

maj.

> bIQujbe'chugh bIlujbej

jIQujbe'chugh vaj jIQapbe'ba', 'ach jIlujbej'a'?

> yIn Quj'a'

Do you mean the game lives (is alive) or that life is the game? If it's the
former, this is fine. If it's the latter, then you have to say <Quj'a' 'oH
yIn'e'>.

> bItIvbe'chugh vas DaQujchu'be'

<vaj>, not <vas>.

> loS 'ay' ghaj Quj
lu'.

> Quj 'ay'mey wa'
> Quj yoS cha'
> chutmey mIwmey ghap wej
> QujwI' loS

I really don't understand what you're going for here.

> Hoch poH logh je che'ronmaj

I think you meant to say "All of space and time is our battlefield", or
something similar. That would be <Hoch poH logh je bIH che'ronmaj'e'>.

> Hoch qo' Qujmaj yoS

Hoch qo' 'oH Qujmaj yoS'e'

> maH 'ay'

'ay' maH ??? I don't understand this one.

> maH QujwI'

<QujwI' maH> is definitely what you want here.

> Does this say what I intend it to say?

That depends on what you wanted to say. A lot of it works, but some does
not. With the "to be" problems fixed, it's pretty good.

> To introduce myself, I am 38 years old, although I claim
> bonus years due to former naval service and raising two
> teenagers. I work at SLAC, which is an atom smasher. rugh
> wIchenmoH, 'ach juHDaq vInge'laHbe'. I have been playing
> around with tlhIngan Hol for some time, but only recently
> decided to get serious about learning it.

maj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ