tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 19 10:54:23 1999

Re: Eternal Life...

Ben Gibson:
> Someone on another newsgroup explained Qotor's(?)(the ferryman on
> the barge of the dead) punishment as being analogous to Christ's. I
> find this rather bizarre. I mean if he killed the gods, then who was
> punishing him?

The rest of the gods obviously.  I've been seeing this same misunderstanding in
many newsgroups.  (Other than making fun of the "Klingon" in it, didn't anyone
actually listen to the script?)

Kortar did not kill all the gods, just "the gods who created him".  All this
means is that he killed at least two gods, nothing more.  We have no idea how
many gods in total there were in ancient Klingon mythology.  Possibly as few as
a dozen, possibly hundreds or even thousands.  Certainly there were enough left
to punish him.

> And if the death of the gods was a good thing, why was he punished?
> What was his sin?

Deicide -- which Klingons approve of but I'm sure the gods themselves didn't.
Perhaps Kortar was the first Klingon to raise his hands to the gods (proving
that the gods could be killed) inspiring the rest of Klingon-kind to rise up
and finish the job at some later date.

SuStel:
: Worf and Jadzia were married in a ceremony where Worf played the part of
: this god-killer guy. Apparently, he's important enough to base a ceremony
: around.

Nothing was said about Worf impersonating Kortar per se during his wedding.  As
I understood it, the married couple represented *all* the ancient men and women
who rose up and slaughtered their useless gods.  (Or were they oppressive?  I'm
not sure the motive was explicitly stated other than simply outgrowing the need
for gods.)

Well, enough of this off-topic speculation.  Back to tlhIngan Hol.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level