tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 18 22:17:50 1999

Re: KGT: naHjej or neHjej?

jatlh charghwI':

> At this point, I'd consider either one to be correct. Both
> exist in canon. {neHjej} can be easily found in the word
> list, so using it is fine. Meanwhile, {naHjej} is clearly
> the way he originally intended the word to be used, so, it
> would be hard to call it wrong. In English, we have one
> word spelled "blond" and another spelled "blonde". Which
> one is right?

When referring to a man, "blond" is correct.  When referring to a woman,
"blonde" is correct.

"Blond/blonde" is the only instance of adjectival gender left in English.
(Y'know, how Spanish would have "muchacho feo" and "muchacha fea," for
instance.  The adjective has a gender-based form.  Well, "blond/blonde" is
the only English adjective which does this.)

Note that most people do not know this distinction.  Very soon, in
language-scale, "blond/blonde" will probably settle into one form, or at
least lose any distinction it once had.  Those who do know of the two
spellings usually don't know what they mean, anyway.

SuStel
Stardate 99797.4

Back to archive top level