tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 17 19:57:54 1999

Re: KGT: naHjej or neHjej?

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:50:48 +0200 taj'IH <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Greetings to the Empire!
>
> While composing, er scribbling, a fellow Klingon called my attention to
> a problem in the word list in KGT:
>
> While the word list in the back of the book translates the plant "thistle"
> to neHjej (and vice versa), the actual article on food spells it as naHjej,
> and explains it to mean "sharp fruit" = naH and jej.
> Is this a known mistake in KGT?

If you check out the New Words List at http://www.kli.org
you'll see that I listed naHjej citing it on page 88 of KGT.

> What is correct?

At this point, I'd consider either one to be correct. Both
exist in canon. {neHjej} can be easily found in the word
list, so using it is fine. Meanwhile, {naHjej} is clearly
the way he originally intended the word to be used, so, it
would be hard to call it wrong. In English, we have one
word spelled "blond" and another spelled "blonde". Which
one is right? Also, check out "independent" and
"independant". Which one is right? Then there's "grey" and
"gray".

Deal with it.

> Qapla'
>
> --