tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 11 18:57:10 1999

Re: Mu'mey chu'

>From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:18:01 -0600
>

>> I wouldn't consider it culturally taboo, at least for Klingons.
>
>TKD 4.2.2:
>
>"This suffix is rarely used with a prefix meaning I or we. Though it is
>grammatically correct, it is culturally taboo."

To beat a dead horse, TKD 4.3:

 pIHoHvIpbe'qu'		we are NOT afraid to kill you
 pIHoHvIpqu'be'		we are not AFRAID to kill you
 pIHoHqu'vIpbe'		we are not afraid to KILL you

 The first word might be used after an enemy challenged the bravery of the
 speaker.  The second might be followed by an explanation such as "We are
 not willing to kill you you because we require your services."  The third
 would be used to emphasize killing, as opposed to some other form of
 punishment.

Note he says "would be used" not "could be used but wouldn't because of the
taboo in section 4.2.2."

~mark

Back to archive top level