tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 08 18:32:50 1999

RE: Barge and translations/KLBC

Thanks for answering. Considering I can't tell a subject from an object
from a verb in Standard .. I don't think I did so badly my first
translation , at least I figured out that someone didn't feel they were to
blame .

LT MaudF./LT malqa matoq tuq
Chief Security Officer /Chief of Cadet Corps.
USS Triumph NCC-26228/R2/ Starfleet
(Triumph Against All Odds)

jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey (The stars will talk before I will)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh malqa:
>
> > I've got the transcript from Barge and I'm trying to
> > translate (for the first time ) but the spellings are
> > pure Standard ,hard to tell an l from and I and whether
> > the letter at the beginning of the sentence is really
> > supposed to be a q or a Q because they've capitalized
> > everything.
>
> > The word in question from this list was written  paq'batleth
> > which translates as book(scroll) of Honor ?
>
> I'm sure that is what they were going for, but that would be <batlh paq>.
>
> > I ask help in correcting my first translation from the ep of :
> > pIch vIghajbe'
>
> > pIch = fault/blame  , vI = I/him her/it/them
> > ghaj = have  be' =not
> > roughly translated would this mean :
> > I/him/her/it/them are not at fault or to blame ?
>
> I think you had a little trouble with the prefix here. The "I" part is for
> the subject and the "him/her/it/them" part is for the object. So <vIghaj>
> means "I have him/her/it/them". The explicit object - <pIch> - matches up
> nicely with the "it" in "him/her/it/them", which is good. So what does it
> mean? "I do not have blame.", or in the words of Han Solo "It's not my
> fault."
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian
>
> tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ