tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 08 18:12:17 1999

RE: Barge and translations/KLBC

jatlh malqa:

> I've got the transcript from Barge and I'm trying to
> translate (for the first time ) but the spellings are
> pure Standard ,hard to tell an l from and I and whether
> the letter at the beginning of the sentence is really
> supposed to be a q or a Q because they've capitalized
> everything.

> The word in question from this list was written  paq'batleth
> which translates as book(scroll) of Honor ?

I'm sure that is what they were going for, but that would be <batlh paq>.

> I ask help in correcting my first translation from the ep of :
> pIch vIghajbe'

> pIch = fault/blame  , vI = I/him her/it/them
> ghaj = have  be' =not
> roughly translated would this mean :
> I/him/her/it/them are not at fault or to blame ?

I think you had a little trouble with the prefix here. The "I" part is for
the subject and the "him/her/it/them" part is for the object. So <vIghaj>
means "I have him/her/it/them". The explicit object - <pIch> - matches up
nicely with the "it" in "him/her/it/them", which is good. So what does it
mean? "I do not have blame.", or in the words of Han Solo "It's not my
fault."

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ