tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 29 09:33:06 1999

Verbs of Saying Revisited

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:57:26 +-300 Carleton Copeland
<[email protected]> wrote:

> My notes contain the following, apparently posted by Qov:
>
> > "Unless I am confused (not an impossibility), canon
> > shows the object of {ja'} to be the person addressed,
> > not the thing reported. The object of jatlh can be a
> > language, speech, etcetera."
>
> The Ca'Non Master's typically thorough response did not say, though--not
> explicitly, anyway--whether a noun can be the direct object of {-ja'}. Is
> this still a subject of controversy? E.g., canon gives {yIja'Qo'} (Don't
> tell him!), but can I say {yaS yIja'Qo'!} (Don't tell the guard!)?
>
> qa'ral

TKD pages 35 and 40 both offer more examples with people implied
in the verb prefix (especially with {qaja'}). I definitely
consider that to be explicit enough that I think we'd be foolish
to reject {yaS yIja'Qo'}.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level