tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 28 08:55:44 1999

Verbs of Saying Revisited

My notes contain the following, apparently posted by Qov:

> "Unless I am confused (not an impossibility), canon
> shows the object of {ja'} to be the person addressed,
> not the thing reported. The object of jatlh can be a
> language, speech, etcetera."

The Ca'Non Master's typically thorough response did not say, though--not
explicitly, anyway--whether a noun can be the direct object of {-ja'}. Is
this still a subject of controversy? E.g., canon gives {yIja'Qo'} (Don't
tell him!), but can I say {yaS yIja'Qo'!} (Don't tell the guard!)?

qa'ral

Back to archive top level