tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 27 22:53:04 1999

RE: KLBC Original Stuff (was Help With a Word...)

jatlh juDmoS:

> Very well, then. I shall attempt to translate something
> of my own. Here goes.
>
> yaHmeyDaq vumtaH tamtaH je'  ' qulSuS '  pongta'bogh
> tlhIngan qughwI' meH beq.
> The bridge crew of the Klingon cruiser qulSuS sat
> silently tending to their duties.

Interesting punctuation style for the proper name. I've not seen it before,
but I kind of like it.

Two problems. The first is simple - you've got the wrong conjunction. For
sentences (like <vumtaH> and <tamtaH>), you need a sentence (verb)
conjunction rather than a noun conjunction, and it needs to go between the
two sentences: <vumtaH 'ej tamtaH>. That is a very strange sounding pair, by
the way, for people used to English, where <tam> is really an adjective, but
it makes perfect sense in Klingon.

The second problem is a bit more complicated. You've got <' qulSuS '
pongta'bogh tlhIngan qughwI'> for "The Klingon cruiser called Firewind." The
problem is that the way <pong> works is that the subject is the thing
calling the name, the object is the name itself, and the thing named gets a
<-vaD> put on it. For example "charghwI' called the officer matlh", you
would say <yaSvaD matlh pong charghwI'>. Taking this into account, you've
got "The Klingon cruiser called (something) Firewind". You could think a lot
about recasting this with some other sort of <-bogh> clause, but this could
get ugly really quickly. Instead you could just say <tlhIngan qughwI' '
qulSuS '> - "The Klingon cruiser Firewind". This sounds more natural.

Also, I don't remember offhand, but isn't <qughDuj> the standard Klingon
word for "cruiser".

> jIHDaq leghlaHta' 'oH neH logh chImqu' .
> Only vast, empty space could be seen on the viewscreen.

Subject/object problems here. The thing that is seen is the vast, empty
space, so it has to be the object of <legh>. The subject is probably the
bridge crew. If the subject is "They (the bridge crew)", then the prefix
needs to change just a bit:

jIHDaq logh chImqu' neH luleghlaH.

> Okay, It doesn't even rhyme. How's the grammar ?

qabqu'be' pab. Qagh puS vItu'bej, 'ach tI'meH ngeD.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level