tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 28 06:24:01 1999

Re: KLBC Original Stuff (was Help With a Word...)

<< >
 > yaHmeyDaq vumtaH tamtaH je'  ' qulSuS '  pongta'bogh
 > tlhIngan qughwI' meH beq.
 > The bridge crew of the Klingon cruiser qulSuS sat
 > silently tending to their duties.

 Interesting punctuation style for the proper name. I've not seen it before,
 but I kind of like it.

 Two problems. The first is simple - you've got the wrong conjunction.
 . That is a very strange sounding pair, by  the way, for people used to
English, where <tam> is really an adjective, but  it makes perfect sense in
Klingon.

 The second problem is a bit more complicated. You've got <' qulSuS '
 pongta'bogh tlhIngan qughwI'> for "The Klingon cruiser called Firewind."
The problem is that the way <pong> works is that the subject is the thing
 calling the name, the object is the name itself, and the thing named gets a
 <-vaD> put on it. Instead you could just say <tlhIngan qughwI' '
 qulSuS '> - "The Klingon cruiser Firewind". This sounds more natural.

 Also, I don't remember offhand, but isn't <qughDuj> the standard Klingon
 word for "cruiser".

So, more properly,  yaHmeyDaq vumtaH 'ej tamtaH tlhIngan qughDuj  ' qulSuS '
meH beq. Thanks.

 > jIHDaq leghlaHta' 'oH neH logh chImqu' .
 > Only vast, empty space could be seen on the viewscreen.

 Subject/object problems here. The thing that is seen is the vast, empty
 space, so it has to be the object of <legh>. The subject is probably the
 bridge crew. If the subject is "They (the bridge crew)", then the prefix
 needs to change just a bit:

 jIHDaq logh chImqu' neH luleghlaH.

 qabqu'be' pab. Qagh puS vItu'bej, 'ach tI'meH ngeD.

qatlho'. chonaDDI' choquv.

 pagh
 Beginners' Grammarian >>

Back to archive top level