tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 27 20:09:37 1999

Re: {X 'e' Y-lu'}

ja'pu' Carleton Copeland <[email protected]>:
>[...]
>yay'lu'taH 'e' not mevlu'!
>yay'lu'taH net not mev!
>yay'lu'taH 'e' not mev vay'!

ja charghwI':
>Look more closely at your word order. Adverbials preceed direct
>objects, unless the direct object is emphasized with the Type 5
>noun suffix {-'e'}, and there is no evidence that this is legal
>for the pronouns {'e'} or {net}, so your {not} is consistently
>misplaced.

We don't actually know that charghwI' is correct here.  We merely
*assume* that the usual placement of adverbials applies when {'e'}
and {net} are used.  But we've never seen Okrand put them where we
think they should go.  In fact, we *have* seen him put adverbials
after the {'e'} pronoun.

Skybox Card S26:
DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
lurSa' be'etor je...
The sisters of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor are constantly seeking a higher
standing for the house of Duras within the Klingon High Council...

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level