tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 19 11:58:46 1999

Re: {X 'e' Y-lu'}

>From: Carleton Copeland <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:26:14 +-300
>Encoding: 33 TEXT
>
>{X net Y-lu'} qelbogh nger wejDIch vIchup:
>
>Inasmuch as both {net} and {-lu'} identify verb Y as having an impersonal
>subject, perhaps the combination is heard as redundant, thus rendering the
>more common {'e'} at least optional.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if some dialect (not necessarily
a current one, perhaps a past or future development of the language)
dropped {net} in favor of {'e' Xlu'}.  In such a dialect, {net} would have
cultural marking, maybe sounding archaic or trendy or foreign... Just
musing.  Wait till I ramble about possible phonetic/phonological changes in
other dialects... You don't have to go very far at all to wind up with
tonal varieties, weird laryngeal settings...

~mark

Back to archive top level