tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 26 15:55:52 1999

sign language

Yesterday I met the coolest lady- a language teacher at  UAA. One of the
languages with which she is fluent  is ASL. I only know signed English (some)
I've always been curious concerning how to fingerspell the "Q", "H", "tlh", "ng".
etc. if I ever had the opportunity to sign with someone who was interested in
Klingons. I've always used a "K" sign wiggling from the brow - over the head
(like the sign for "skunk" but without the "S") for Klingon. Has anyone else ever
thought about signed tlhIngan Hol?
    My professor friend hypothesized that since other languages have
fingerspelling perhaps one of the equivalent sounds from a foreign language would
have a hand sign for that sound which we could "adopt" for the
glyph/letter/sound.that we do not have in English. I tossed in the idea for the
large-case Q, S, H, I & D we could use the standard hand sign for that letter,
but with a variation (a shake, a wiggle, a small shove forward?)
    Is there any canon-stuff on this? Has anyone discussed this issue before?
                                                        pIl'o'
ps: my name sigh is the letter "p", backside of the R hand against the L side of
the head/ear with head tilted laterally, like "placing your head on a pillow"

Back to archive top level