tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 18:10:03 1999

Re: cardinal directions

>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:28:04 -0600
>From: Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]>
>
>If you put <chan> at the top of your map, then the compass
>rose for the three cardinal points looks remarkably like the
>Klingon trefoil!

I truly doubt that was a coincidence.

Actually, I rolled my eyes at this chan/'ev/tIng thing.  OK, Klingons like
threes, we get the picture, but that doesn't mean they're OBSSESSED with
the number!  We like tens, but we still have four cardinal directions,
divide our feet into twelve inches, etc.  Four seems a lot more
sensible... But then, I don't know much about how Terran cultures in
general make their directions.  I know that places like Hawai'i develop
directions like "seaward" and "inland" and so on.  Maybe there are places
that use a 3-way deal like Klingon.  But hey, we have it, and I even get my
"East", which I needed both for Jonah and the Tower of Babel translations.

~mark

Back to archive top level