tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 26 14:08:52 1999

Re: RE:KLBC: DaH jIjeSqa'

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:53:23 -0500 Daryl Quick
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >>ja' tuv'el

> >>chaq vIqaw'laH.  (How should I express the idea. 'perhaps I
> >>remember more than I thought I could?' I ground to a halt on
> >>that one!

> >ja' charghwI'
> >chaq jIqawchoH. [note spelling]
> I see that it means that (after the notable charghwI' said so ) but,
> can it also mean 'perhaps I remember less than I thought I could?'
> and only know which depending on the context to differentiate between them?

The question here is to whom is the degree of knowledge
apparent? Unfortunately, the original reference wasn't part of
this response to it, so the thread becomes difficult to
meaningfully carry forward...

The statement was basically, "I know more than I apparently
know." I can only interpret that to mean that you are keeping
some of your knowledge secret, because if you mean "I know more
than *I* thought I knew", then it doesn't make any sense to use
{-law'} to say, "than I apparently knew" because appearances are
judged from the outside.

It is, I think, a lot clearer and more accurate to simply say,
"I begin to remember", because that is marking the change of
state between what you thought you knew and what you now know
that you knew, since in this case, knowing is remembering.

> >>- tuv'el
> >charghwI'
> chavta'ngav

charghwI'