tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 23:39:44 1999

RE: Klingon WOTD: baqghol (n)

Holtej:
>Klingon word:   baqghol
>Additional Notes:
>KGT.  A type of liquor, usually fatal to non-Klingons.

Voragh:
: Where is this stated in KGT?  [....]  Except for STC's *very* loose
: translation (!), there's nothing about it being fatal to non-Klingons.
: It may well be true, but we have seen Trills drink it and survive.

charghwI':
: Wasn't this the drink that was the focus of the bar scene on the
: Klingon CD game where Gowran duked it out with the bartender?

Holtej 'utlh:
>I don't think I'm confusing it with the tea; I know the difference between
>{Dargh} and {HIq}.  ;)  OTOH, I am not sure where this notation came from.
>The only possibility that comes to mind is KCD.  What was the name of the
>liquor that Gawron used to get information from the bartender, after saying
>"there are always weapons"?

You're both right. I had forgotten about that scene.

It was called Necti, a Birani (whoever they are)--not Klingon--beverage.
According to Gowron, it's a poison to all the "more delicate" species:
Ferengi, Romulan, Human.

Like the tea used in the Tea Ceremony, Necti can be toxic for some Klingons
as well: "To a Klingon it burns going down, and sears the stomach as well
as the brain. I have known of Klingons who have died drinking it too fast."
(Gowron to Riker, _Star Trek: Klingon!_ novelization, pp. 89ff.)

Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQqu' Hegh wanI'.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level