tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 15:38:13 1999

RE: *Egypt* Hol navmey

jatlh DujHoD:

> DaH jIyaj. So when quoting oneself, it is correct to say
> {jIjatlh:}, not {vIjatlh:}, as I have done in the past,
> qar'a'?

qar.

> (Actually, if the quote is a direct object, Klingon grammar
> dictates that it should look more like this:
> >vay' vIjatlhlI'.
> >:jatlh vay'
>
> yajbe'law' *pagh:
> >nuqjatlh?
>
> I was just referring to the standard O-V-S sentence
> structure. If quotes were direct objects (as I though
> they were), then the quote would have to precede
> the {jatlh vay'}. Of course, since I now know that quotes
> *aren't* direct objects, my point was meaningless.

I was just being ornery. However, you do bring up an interesting point. If
written Klingon does have punctuation (of which we have no evidence), where
does it go? Something to speculate on.

> My next challenge: Trying to get used to saying {jIjatlh}
> instead of {vIjatlh}.  ;-)

bIQapjaj!

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian