tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 20 14:54:23 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

ja' !mark:
>(...The -vIS suffix
>*requires* the -taH suffix: I think of them as just one suffix, -taHvIS.
>This is incorrect when it comes to -taHneSvIS and -taHQo'vIS, but those are
>rare.)

Thinking of {-taHvIS} as a single suffix has gotten me into trouble when
I wanted to put {-vIS} on a progressing action with a definite goal or
stopping point.  For example, if I had been talking about {SoplI'}, I'd
be in danger of saying {?SoplI'taHvIS}.  That's happened to me enough
times that I'm more careful about it now.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level