tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 12:22:34 1999

Re: Klingon WOTD: baj (v)

Voragh:
> For some reason, even after going into such detail in the Dictionary,
> Okrand took an intense dislike to {net} and has never used it again in
> any other source AFAIK.  This prejudice explains the frequent use of
> {'e'} even where the grammar is unusual, even controversial.

SuStel:
: Intense dislike?  I doubt it.  Here we simply have a logical case of Okrand
: forgetting exactly how {net} works.  He's not trying to demonstrate actual
: Klingon usage (though, if he's cornered, he'll explain it away as something
: like that).  He just goofed.  A lot.  Many other students of Klingon make
: the same mistake many times before figuring it out.

Then strike "intense".  But this is not a mistake or a case of Okrand simply
"forgetting exactly how {net} works" as he's done with, for example, {lu-} and
{-lu'} on occasion.  He's never used the word once in the 14 years since TKD
was first published in 1985.  This is rather a case of Okrand forgetting or
ignoring the fact that {net} exists at all.  Either of which leads me to
suspect that {net} was never intended to be a part of Klingon grammar, but
simply a one-off backfit for yet another Valkris-ism.  This no doubt explains
his comment in TKD (p. 65f.):

  {net} is used only under special circumstances, but {'e'} is common...

If we want to fit this into our understanding of why Klingons say the things
they do, perhaps it's best to consider {net} -- together with {jaw}, {HISlaH}
and {rIntaH} -- as features of whatever dialect Valkris spoke.  Wasn't she
identified in the novelization as Rumaiy (or was it Kumburanya?), which would
certainly explain her troubles with {ta' Hol}.

'Tis a pity, for {net Sov} is a useful little phrase.  Not that one can't mix
dialects for dramatic effect, n'est-ce pas?

: Remember, Okrand is no expert Klingon speaker!

net Sov.  'a po' ghaH matlh'e'!  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons