tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 17 17:23:01 1999

Re: KLBC Help with a word...

<<
 Please realize that you have put KLBC in your subject header,
 indicating that you evaluate yourself to be a beginner in the
 use of the language, yet here you are, attempting to translate
 somebody else's poetry.

Well, not exactly. As I stated, it's a country and western song.

 If you were trying to learn French, would you be doing this?
 Think about it:

Yes. I found it very helpful, when stationed in Puerto Rico, to learn Spanish
through translating things with which I was familiar. Example: On Puerto
Rican TV, "Mighty Mouse" is "Super Ratton" (Super rat), and "The Six Million
Dollar Man" was "El Hombre Nuclear" (The Nuclear Man). Not literal
translations, but easy to remember...and it kept the language alive, rather
than boring, textbook stuff.

 As a beginner, simply speaking your own thoughts is a challenge
 and it should be a challenge you are proud to embrace. But no.
 You want to translate someone ELSE'S thoughts. And even that is
 not enough. You want to translate someone else's POETRY.

 Would you please look at yourself and reevaluate your chosen
 task? There will either be years enough for you to learn to use
 the language well enough to do poetry, or there won't. If there
 are, then you should wait until you have experienced them before
 attempting this. If there aren't then, well, you shouldn't be
 attempting this. Either way, you shouldn't be attempting this
 NOW.

 KLBC + poetry = trouble.

 KLBC + somebody ELSE'S poetry = big trouble.

 I honestly think you will learn more meaningful stuff if you
 stick to prose until you have mastered it before taking on
 poetry. Otherwise, we'll just go through frustratingly recursive
 bouts of "No, that is not quite what I meant."

Since what are translated are "ideas" rather than literal phrases, I often
find it useful to take a sentence, try to understand what is actually being
said, and translate that. I am not trying to write poetry. I am trying to
learn to translate various different types of sentence structures. I have
never found available a list of "Translate this." suggestions, so I take
things I am familiar with. Prose or poetry, idiom or axiom, mine or yours,
real or imagined. It is an exercise. Practice. That's what I understand I
need. I've got a little while yet before I'm willing to attempt poetry. I
know my limitations.

 charghwI'

juDmoS

Back to archive top level