tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 11 15:04:04 1999

Re: Translation request; good website

jatlh Sean Robertson:
>Would anyone be willing and able to translate this quote?  It seems
>perfectly fitted to Klingon culture:
>
>    "Great is the glory, for the strife is hard"  -- Wordsworth

vIchup:
>Dun batlh vumqu'lu'mo'.

jang mark:
>I was chatting on the IRC channel (more on that later) regarding
>this... {Dun} doesn't quite work for me, since the English is implying that
>there is a *lot* of honor, not just that it's all the better because it was
>so hard-fought.  I don't remember what my answer was entirely; I'm pretty
>sure it didn't have a -lu'... Something like "Qatlhqu'mo' Qu' tIn quv".
>I'm not wild about {tIn} either; it's an English idiom.  For all I know, it
>makes more sense in Klingon to say {'ugh quv}! (etymological note: the
>Biblical Hebrew word translated in various contexts as "honor", "respect",
>and "glory" (is there a really a difference anyway?) is etymologically from
>the root meaning "heavy".)

I was somewhat hesitant to use {Dun}, but no better word came to mind. I
don't think {tIn} is the answer either. AFAIK, {tIn} may refer only to
physical size. I just got another idea, though; tell me what you think:
{quvqu' vumqu'wI'.}

- DujHoD

Back to archive top level