tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 09 21:27:50 1999

Re: Phrasal doubts (KLBC)

Clayton Cardoso:
: I'm as strong as you.

pagh:
>This one is difficult. Since <HoS> is also a noun, you could probably say
><rap HoSmaj>, but that is kind of weird. I need to think about this for a
>bit. It is hard in general to say <A is as Q as B> in Klingon.

DloraH:
:> chaq KGT (rur) lo'luH  (nav 127)
:>
:> jIHoS, qarur

DujHoD:
: In any case, I like your idea, but I would probably say {jIHoS, vaj qarur}
: to eliminate any possibility of confusion.

Though Klingons would sense no confusion as this turns out to be a standard
construction, you could say {jIHoS; SoH qarur} for emphasis.  There are
many examples of conventional Klingon similes (metaphors?) in "Klingon for
the Galactic Traveller" (pp. 127ff.):

let mInDu'Daj; Separmey rur
Her eyes are as hard as separ-stones.
(lit. "Her eyes are hard; they resemble separ.")

HoSghaj; mupwI' rur
powerful as a hammer

HoS; 'Iw rur
strong as blood

puj; bIQ rur
weak as water

ram; ghIlab ghew rur
trivial as a glob fly

bIr; bortaS rur
cold as revenge

'oj; bomwI' rur
thirsty as a singer

ghung; qagh rur
hungry as gagh

jeD; ghevI' rur
thick as gagh sauce

mIgh; molor rur
evil as Molor

ngo'; QI'tu' rur
old as Qui'Tu

qan; QI'tu' rur
He/she is as old as Qui'Tu.

qej; veqlargh rur
mean as Fek'lhr

quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur
dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor

wov; ghI'boj Sech rur
bright as the Torch of G'boj

jej; Daqtagh rur
sharp as a d'k tahg

jejHa'; naH taj rur
dull as a vegetable knife

lo'laHbe'; chetvI' chIm rur
worthless as an empty torpedo tube

yuD; jey'naS rur
dishonest as a double-headed ax

yuDHa'; ghIt rur
honest as an ax head (or: honest as an open hand)

Dogh; tIghla' rur
foolish as a t'gla

tlhIb; toppa' rur
incompetent as a topah

bIt; tI'qa' vIghro' rur
nervous as a tika cat

tun; reghuluS 'Iwghargh rur
soft as a Regulan bloodworm

tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH rur
free (independent) as a forest animal

'up; yIH rur
disgusting as a tribble

matlhHa'; romuluSngan rur
disloyal as a Romulan

qur; verengan rur
greedy as a Ferengi

wIH; Hur'Iqngan rur
ruthless as a Hur'q

Hoj; tera'ngan rur
cautious as a Terran

Hem; tlhIngan rur
proud as a Klingon

nong; vulqangan rur
passionate as a Vulcan (ironic!)

tam; Hew rur
quiet as a statue

val; Huy' rur
clever as an eyebrow

lugh; Sor rur
correct as a tree

'IQ; rav rur
sad as a floor

Sagh; Ho''oy rur
serious as a toothache

boch; ghIch rur
shiny as a nose

: What does {lo'luH} mean? Is it a typo of {lo'laH}?

In a matter of speaking.  {-luH} "one can" is a nonce suffix explained in KGT:

  "totally artificial, made-up suffixes... No one accepts such
   constructions as grammatical; their inappropriateness, the way
   they grate on the Klingon ear, is exactly what gives them
   elocutionary clout. A visitor may hear one of these odd suffixes
   occasionally, but, as with other intentionally ungrammatical forms,
   it is best to avoid using them until one is extremely comfortable
   with the nuances of Klingon style." (KGT p.181)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level