tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 05 08:42:00 1999

RE: HoghwIj nI'

jatlh ghunchu'wI':

> > nI' jajvetlh Qu' - jav vatlh rep tagh 'ej wa'maH Soch vatlh rep rIn.

jang Holtej 'utlh:

> I've been wondering about the telling of time like this.  In Okrand's post
> to the startrek.klingon newsgroup on time-telling, he talks about two
> systems, the military system and the non-military {'arlogh Qoy'lu'pu'}
> system.  For the former, he writes:
>
> "When giving the time using this system, hours are numbered, not counted.
> That is, one says <rep cha'> 'hour two, hour number two, two o'clock,' not
> <cha' rep> or <cha' repmey> 'two hours'". [1]
>
> But on this list, I've only ever seen time with the hours counted, as
> above.
> Is this just a traditional error, or is there some other reason for this
> difference?  I'll quote Okrand's entire message below.

I'd suspect that the use of counted hours such as {wa'maH Hut vatlh rep}
comes from the explanation of time on the Conversational Klingon audio tape.
Presumably, since the newsgroup posting is more recent, it supercedes the CK
explanation for telling time. However, to me at least, because I've listened
to CK far more than I've read the newsgroup message, the (incorrect)
counting method unfortunately sticks in my head more.

I've found that the audio tapes have been very helpful for me, especially in
remembering vocabulary. When the language is used aloud, and I can listen to
it over and over, I remember it well. I'd prefer that I remember it this
way, so that I can recall the sounds rather than having to visualize text
from an email/newsgroup posting before I say words.  I wouldn't mind if a
new tape/cd was produced, if only to hear and practice newer grammar &
vocabulary that is more recent than the CK & PK tapes.

-taD

Back to archive top level