tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 28 10:33:54 1999

RE: nuq Qub latlhpu'? (KLBC)

qa'ral, reacting to pagh's comments:

: >chab, Dargh, HIq je lIngba' Satlh
:
: Don't tell me there's another suffix missing from my chart!
: chay' <-ba'> mojaq lo'lu'?  nuq 'oH SeghDaj'e'?

{-ba'} "obviously"

  "Like Type 3 noun suffixes, these [Type 6] suffixes show how sure the
  speaker is about what is being said." (TKD 39)

  "This suffix is used when the speaker thinks that his or her assertion
  should be obvious to the listener. Nevertheless, there is still room
  for doubt; the suffix does not imply as strong a conviction as {-bej}
  'certainly'." (TKD 175)

  nepwI' Daba'
  He is obviously lying. TKD

  vaj DatIvba'.
  Then you're obviously enjoying it. CK

: ><HIq> is questionable. We don't know for certain that any Klingon <HIq> is
: >produced from vegetable matter. We can surmise that <pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq>
: >and <'Iw HIq> are both produced from animal matter, but I won't hazard a
: >guess about the rest.
:
: I've heard of fermented mare's milk (kumiss).  Could 'Iw HIq actually be
made
: from fermented blood?  Is this even possible?

Or at least some forms of {HIq} contain some animal matter mixed in with the
{naH}.  Or some {HIq} mixed in with the {'Iw}.  Do we know any more about
bloodwine {'Iw HIq}?

The "blood" may refer to a flavoring agent added to the wine at some stage in
its manufacturing.  Rather like the various ingredients added to vodka:
grass,
peppercorns, lemon peel, berries, etc.  Then the question becomes, the
blood of
what animal?

We do know that bloodwine is served warm, "at body temperature" as Okrand says
IIRC somewhere in KGT.  (Whose body? The animal or the consumer?)  Bloodwine
may be so called because the potency, color, temperature (and viscosity, for
all we know) may remind Klingons of blood.  Like the Spanish wine Sangre de
Toro, or Hungarian Bikaver (both of which mean, I believe, "bull's blood").

And don't forget that the Regulans - whoever they are - also have a form of
bloodwine {reghuluS 'Iw HIq}, as we learn from Conversational Klingon.
Interestingly enough, they also have bloodworms {reghuluS 'Iwghargh} (TKD):

  tun; reghuluS 'Iwghargh rur
  soft as a Regulan bloodworm KGT

Hmmm... I wonder if this is the type of worm used in boiling wormwine
{pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq}?

  reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj!
  May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! (toast) PK

Does the bloodworm - boiled or otherwise - come sealed in the bottle {bal}
(like tequila), so that whoever gets the worm is considered lucky by his
drinking companions?  Or are they added to your {HIvje'} by the bartender
{chom} (like olives and onions to martinis)?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level