tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 24 20:08:12 1999

{-meH}: purpose clauses

[<> jatlhmeH mIwmey qel wa' nav.]

ja' peHruS:
>Then, there remains the question of what is the head noun of the {-meH}
>clause.  It appears obvious to me in this sentence the head noun of the
>clause is {mIwmey}, which is plural.

Read TKD 6.2.4 closely.  {-meH} goes on a verb in a "purpose clause".
The purpose clause goes in front of the noun or verb it is describing.
There isn't anything like a "head noun" of a purpose clause.  If the
clause describes a noun, that noun isn't actually part of the clause.
In the above-quoted text, {mIwmey} has no role *in* the {-meH} clause.
Its number is not relevant to the prefix of the purpose clause's verb.

(The term "head noun" applies to the topic of a *relative* clause with
the {-bogh} suffix on the verb.  Such nouns are explicitly part of the
relative clause, either as the subject or the object.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level