tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 17 12:47:08 1999

Re: KLBC

jatlh Voragh
> 'oghwI' wrote:
> : > De'WI'ghom'a' Daq Qapbe'pu'.
> : >
> : > I used DloraH's word for Internet.
> : > This should say something along the lines of:
> : > Internet Site is not functioning.
>
>   Qapbe' De'wI'ghom'a' Daq.
>
> Remember: OVS word order.  Also, a Type 7 aspect suffix isn't really
> needed
> for this simple statement.  If the site is not functioning at the
time you
> write, the perfective {-pu'} is inappropriate since the state of not
> functioning isn't yet completed.  You might use {-taH} if the site
has
> been
> out of order for some time and you wanted to emphasize that fact -
> {Qapbe'taH} "still not functioning" - but I think it sounds better
without
> it.  Chacun a son gout.

I'm out of practice, I've not had time for a while.
The site was broken, it is now working again, but some of the content
has gone.  I added the perfective as I felt this was the best way of
saying that without going into lots of details.

> I rather like someone's (I don't remember who) facetious suggestion
of
> {'evnagh} "subspace".  Seriously, I like to get away from
"Internet" - an
> (inter)national network of local/regional computer networks - since
we
> don't really have a good word for "network", which is something more
> complex than a group {ghom}, and use the term "cyberspace"
*{De'logh} (?).

> So an Internet site could be *{De'logh Daq}.

I like this, but I'm not sure if it I prefer it.  It may grow on me.

> We really ought to ask Maltz to explain Klingon computers to us,
> considering how dependent we are on them here on a computer mailing
list.
> He was a science officer, after all, and we all know how much they
like to
> talk about their computers!

As computer run everything in Star Trek you would think we would know
a bit more than we do.

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons