tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 11 12:12:57 1999

Re: More qachQeD

ghItlh qar'al:

> FAIL TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AT YOUR PERIL!  (Sorry, just getting
into character.  Actually, I'd be honored by any help.)

[...]
> 3) How would <ta'juH'a'> do for *Imperial Palace*?

More likely <juH'a' ta'> "Great Home of the Emperor"

> 4) Any ideas for *skyscraper* or *tower* without resorting to <qach'a'>
or <qach jen>?  (Something metaphoric, perhaps, like <HuDqach>)

Considering *skyscraper* I came up with <chal HotwI'> or <'eng HotwI'>*,
but I like <HuDqach> better. To me, <qach'a'> conotes any of a number of
buildings of a certain size and/or level of prominence. For example,
Washington's Headquarters in Newburgh (my home town) can be considered a
<qach'a'> not for its size, but rather its historical importance.

*(Which reminds me of a rather famous place: {'engDaq veng}.)

> 5) How about *opera* and *opera house*?  (<bomvaS'a'>?)

Works for me!
======

I've a question in response: what is the word/phrase in tlhIngan Hol for
"bridge" as in the Golden Gate? I came up with <bIQ(tIq) DungDaq
('oHbogh) He'> "path (that is) over the water/river"

quljIb
======
bIngDaq 'oHbogh puH yoyvo' SoH'a'?

Back to archive top level