tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 10 16:27:41 1999

Re: toH

jatlh pagh,

>nuq DaneH SoH? Although <nuqneH> is listed as *the* Klingon greeting,
[...]
>good to walk up to someone yourself and say <nuqneH>. Think about it.

jIyaj

>> majSaqIH!
>Wow - you've taken a very good sentence and squished something on the
>beginning of it that doesn't really make sense. <SaqIH> is fine - "I
>meet you (plural)" (or "I meet y'all" in the southern US). The <maj>
part
>looks like it's going for something like "Good to meet you.", but it
doesn't
>work that way. <maj> is an exclamation, so it goes all by itself in a
>sentence. It can't, as far as we know, be used any other way.

oh, was intended to be 'well met!' which isn't all that common a greeting
anymore is it?

>I should also point out that this sort of phrase is just not something
>a Klingon would say. It is a pleasantry we humans use almost every
>single time we meet someone else, and as a result, it has no real
meaning.

>> qultoQ jIH;
>> wej tlhIngan vIjatlh;

>Unlike many terrestrial languages, the name of a country or group cannot
be
>used all by itself as the name of a language. You have to say <tlhIngan
Hol>
>- "the Klingon langauge", and not just <tlhIngan>.
>And I would say you *are* speaking (well, writing at least) Klingon.
>It's not perfect, but I did get the gist of what you said.

>> SuwamQuch,
>Another case of squishing stuff together that doesn't make sense. Let
>me suggest an alternative:
>Suwamchu'jaj!
><-chu'> and <-jaj> are both suffixes, and <-jaj> is found in the
appendix.

afraid im not sure of what /Suwamchu'jaj/ is meant for, /SuwamQuch/ was
intended for 'happy hunting' as we would say;

>pagh
>Beginners' Grammarian
>
>tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
>http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

qultoQ

;any idea for translating the quote, not sure if im versed enough in
tlhIngan-Hol yet for such prose?
Death may be permanent, or I may be back in hours
This truth is far from known.
So I find some way to tell myself: Everything will be okay.
It's better to lie and live,
Even if I am only trying to convince myself.    -Adaria

Back to archive top level