tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 08 13:52:33 1999

Re: Yet another X-Files translation - at least the first part...

ja' muHwI':
>Patrick Masterson schrieb:
>> Does your mom ever mix you up?
>> (SoSra' bomISmoH'a'?.)
>You said "Do You confuse Your mothers?"

No, he correctly asked "Do you (plural) confuse your (plural) mother?"
Remember that the {-ra'} noun suffix indicates a plural *possessor*.
It doesn't say anything about the number of the noun it's attached to.

>{lImISmoH'a' SoSra'} is "Do Your mothers confuse You?", if that's what
>you wanted to say, perhabs I misunderstand your english sentence...

You certainly misunderstood his Klingon one. :-)

>Interesting that you did twist the O-V-S order, but then got the
>prefixes right (bo-).

The {bo-} prefix wouldn't have been right if the word order had been
messed up.  It's perfect for the way the words were actually written.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level