tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 29 04:17:37 1999

Re: RE: KLBC: poH HochDaq Qong

Two comments:

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 17:52:17 -0800 (PST) Eric Andeen
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh quljIb:
> > batlhHa'lu' - someone dishonours them, they are dishonoured
>
> <luquvHa'moHlu'> - "someone dishonors them" or <quvHa'> - "they are
> dishonorable".

I can see how the phrase given led you to this, but I think it
would be more natural to make the "them" the subject of {quvHa'}
instead of the object of {luquvHa'moHlu'}. Nobody has to make
them dishonorable. They can just BE dishonorable.

> > HoHlu'pu'wI'pu' batlhHa'lu'bogh - The Dishonoured Dead
>
> With my suggestions from above: <ghotpu' quvHa' luHoHlu'pu'bogh>.

I suspect that a lot of the dishonored dead were not killed.
They just died. In many cases, that is WHY they are dishonored
dead. I think {Heghpu'bogh ghotpu' quvHa'} or {Heghpu'wI'pu'
quvHa'} works better. Again, you were led to the verb {HoH}, but
I don't think it works as well as {Hegh}.

Other than that, I think your suggestions were perhaps better
spoken than my own. Keep up the good work.

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Will Martin
UVA ITC Computer Support Services