tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 27 15:26:12 1999

HaSta

Hee hee!  I just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Tuesday, and it
seemed quite clear to me that the Klingon commander ordered {wIy cha'} and
then {HaS cha}.

Somehow, Okrand decided he heard {HaSta}, and thus the word was born.  But
my guess is that James Doohan was imagining the syllable {cha'} or {cha} to
be present in both orders.

SuStel
Stardate 99236.1

jatlh charghwI':
We are not even sure it ever meant anything as a stand-alone
word. Just because compound nouns are possible doesn't mean that
every polysyllabic noun with a recognizeable syllable was
constructed by that means. What words combined to make {HaSta}?
Likely none. But {ta} is a noun. So do we go searching for the
meaning of {*HaS*}?

Back to archive top level