tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 28 10:26:48 1999

Re: HaSta

ja' SuStel:
>Hee hee!  I just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Tuesday, and it
>seemed quite clear to me that the Klingon commander ordered {wIy cha'} and
>then {HaS cha}.

QIch rap vIQoy je.  jaS Qoylaw' Okrand.  ram.

>Somehow, Okrand decided he heard {HaSta}, and thus the word was born.  But
>my guess is that James Doohan was imagining the syllable {cha'} or {cha} to
>be present in both orders.

The "words" transcribed by Mark Lenard don't obviously show this, however.
He wrote down "HUIT TCHA" as the first line, but the second one comes out
"ECHSS TU".  "TCHA" does appear once more, in "HUIT TCHA EK'KOOS", but I
think that turned into {...cha yIghuS}.  There is a "HUISS HA" immediately
before the "ZOONTAHK" that became {juntaH}, but nothing else looks like it
could be what was heard as {HaSta}.  Lenard's transcription as presented
in HolQeD 4.3 doesn't have anything in it that looks like {baH} either.
The closest to {SSS baH} I see is "PSHAAH BISMACHT".

Lenard put it well at the end of the HolQeD interview:  "He took things a
little mistakenly, but that doesn't matter.  I changed them when I heard
them too."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level