tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 27 14:59:08 1999

Re: choH

Wouldn't it be interesting if a common Klingon error is putting {-moH} after
either {choH} (or maybe {-choH})?  Let us suppose for a moment that Klingons
commonly put {-moH} after the suffix {-choH}.  Then in Star Trek V, one
might conclude that Captain Klaa made that very error, except that he even
forgot that it wasn't a suffix!

This fits all the facts in a way that makes zero Okrand errors, but I'm not
advocating its truthfulness.

SuStel
Stardate 99236.0

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
I'll note that there's another example of a course change which also has
a {-moH}. TKD page 45: {maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'} "may we execute a course?"
But I don't see any pattern here.

>An analogous example might be the use of double negatives in English.

That's a reasonable thought. Almost everyone understands them, even while
recognizing that they are substandard grammar and not good examples for a
student of English to emulate. Putting a superfluous {-moH} on an already
transitive verb could be one of the "common errors" like leaving off {lu-}
(or it could be something else entirely).

Back to archive top level