tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 10:47:10 1999

Re: qul tuq

: ja' Voragh:
: >When I first read {qul tuq}, I assumed that the title referred to the no
: >doubt inspiring and honorable (of course!) struggle of the House of SepIch,
: >who brushed aside all their enemies like fire, an unopposable force of
: >nature.  But it just dawned on me that there may be a double entendre, viz.
: >the well-known Klingon proverb:
: >
: >	meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
: >	Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW
:
: vIHonchu'.  I doubt it very much.  There's no reason for {tuq} and {qach}
: to form any sort of joke in Klingon.  One would have to know that English
: commonly translates these two distinct terms using the same word, and I'm
: not ready to accept that as a basis for {qul tuq} being a pun.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

House of fire, a burning house.  Get it?

I didn't say it was a joke in Klingon, just that it may have been a joke IN
ENGLISH by Hilary Bader, who wrote the story line of the game.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level