tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 20:50:54 1999

Re: qul tuq

ja' Voragh:
>When I first read {qul tuq}, I assumed that the title referred to the no
>doubt inspiring and honorable (of course!) struggle of the House of SepIch,
>who brushed aside all their enemies like fire, an unopposable force of
>nature.  But it just dawned on me that there may be a double entendre, viz.
>the well-known Klingon proverb:
>
>	meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
>	Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

vIHonchu'.  I doubt it very much.  There's no reason for {tuq} and {qach}
to form any sort of joke in Klingon.  One would have to know that English
commonly translates these two distinct terms using the same word, and I'm
not ready to accept that as a basis for {qul tuq} being a pun.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level