tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 11:10:39 1999

RE: wej vIghro'meywIj

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh quljIb:
>
> > wej vIghro'mey vIghaj ('ach mughaj, jISovbe').
> > "Nemo" "Selena" "Raggedy Anne" je ponglu'.
> > mach "Nemo" "Selena" je. loDnI" be'nI' je bIH.
> > qIj "Nemo". SuD "Selena" 'ej baS ("steel") rur.
>
> maj.
>
> > tInbogh vIghro' "Rags";
>
> No need for the <-bogh>.
>
> > wa' vIt vagh chebmey.
>
> I think you want a verb here, and the perfect verb is <ngI'> - "have a
> weight of". <wa' vI' vagh chebmey ngI'>.

{ngI'} - Good. Must remember that one.

> > tIg veDDaj.
>
> tIq.
>
> > Doq nguv 'ej ngem rur, 'ach chIs qamDu'Daj HughDaj je.
>
> <nguv> doesn't work here, and the sentence works without it. I have no idea
> how s/he (or 'oH in Klingon) can be <Doq> while resembling a forest. Did you
> mean something other than <ngem>?

Well, she [Raggedy Anne-"Rags" for short] is a brown, taby Maine Coon, of
a variety sometimes called the Siberian Forest Cat (not officially
recognized by international breeders). The only way I could think of to
convey "brown taby" was to say "she is {Doq} and resembles (is coloured
like) the forest."

> > reH vIghro'meywIj 'e' tIv.
>
> vItIv. Good use of <reH> here - at first I thought it was being used as
> "always", which would have made the sentence incorrect, but I realized the
> verb for "play" made much more sense. maj.
>

> Good overall. maj.
>

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian
>
> tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ