tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 06:51:59 1999

Re: Cardassians and Bajorans

In article <[email protected]>,
Holtej <[email protected]> writes

>> SKI: If you act incorrectly, in order to regain your honor you should
>> use a replacement proverb -- e.g. HIvqa' veqlargh! See the FAQ. :-)
>
>Hm, I don't think there's anything in the FAQ about replacement proverbs.

Darn.

HIVqa' veqlargh!

(Classic example of when to use a replacement proverb. I did this
deliberately. Honest. (}}:-))

I think the replacement proverb was actually defined in PK, among other
places, but this quote from BG pagh from a message from mid-June pretty
much sums it up:

"One of the "replacement proverbs" from the Conversational Klingon
audiocassette is << Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu' >>. Replacement
proverbs are used to replace lost honor after a social misstep, such as
clumsily dropping food on the floor (instead of eating it or flinging it
at a tablemate in order to start a food fight)."

--qonwI'
--
Matt Johnson <mailto:[email protected]>

Back to archive top level