tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 18 01:15:45 1999

Re: 'Iv jIH?

On 17-Mar-99, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Zrajm C Akfohg schrieb:
>> chay' <<another name>> vIjatlh, tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS?
>> lugh'a' <<latlh pong>>?
>> pagh lugh'a' <<pong latlh>>?

> Very interesting. Can a sentece start with "pagh"?

I assumed so. They keep telling us not to do so (in Swedish schools anyway,
one is told that a sentence should not start with "and", "or" or "but") yet
I recently learned (at a course in grammar at the university) that there is
noting ungrammatical about it. - Of course in Klingon, it's probably
ungrammatical, since Okrand explicitly tell us that a conjunction is used to
join senctences (or nouns).

But the error I made was not the usage of {pagh} at the beginning of a
sentence - it was the useage of a question mark (and a linebreak) in the
middle of a sentence..

'ach qapubpu' 'ej jIDIv.

>>> DaH SoH vISov.
> "Now I know the you."

>> jIyajbe'. muj'a' mu'tlhegh?
> vIyajbe' je jIH. mu'tlheghvam qon 'Iv?

Alan Anderson, I think. I was just wondering whether the prefix was right
here - I thought it should have been {DaH SoH qaSov}.

>> <<DaH SoH choSov>> Dajatlh, 'e' DaHech'a'?
> We have no rules about puctuation yet, but I would not put it there.

Mmm. I thought it best to use only !?. and , when I thought about how to
punctuate myself (and I even thought !? might be overkill - but they're
reader friendly so I stuck with them). I use comma everywhere I feel that I
would have helped me when I had just begun to be able to read klingon. That
is, between nouns if there are several such in a row (for example when using
{je} "and", but also if I say something like {wa'maH loSvatlh rep, paqwIj
vIje'} "At two o'clock I will sell my book."). I also use comma between what
is considered two sentences, but what is usually written as one (as above)
exept when I use conjuctions between sentences (hardly necessary then, I
think).

I anyone have any opinions about whether it is a good practice or not to use
puntuation this way I open for suggestions. {qo''a'Daq loDHom neH jIH.
- jImujlaH.}

> chaq <<DaH SoH qaSov>> jatlh neH. {cho-} is "you-me"

Ooops! {DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.} Wrong prefix - my misstake.

>> ghaH jIH. =|:-)
> "I am he is." or "I am a He."
> Wouldn't {jIH} or {jIH'e'} be enough? Or does one need to repeat the
> question? (Björn jIH'e')

"I am he." - It almost sounds Shakesperian, don't you think? I believe it's
grammatical - but I think your suggestions are that too. Only a choice of
preference then. - I liked {ghaH jIH.} so I used it.

>> wa' loD neH jIH 'ach pong law' lupong.
>> pongvam lunobta' vav, SoS je.
>> pongmeyvetlh vInob'egh.

> 'ach pongvam DachenmoHmeH mIw yIQIjQo'!  :-)

{yIyajchu'be'.} Are you giving me an order *not* to explain the process
which created my name?

> Quvar muHwI'

/maHvatlh, 'upSala'ngan

--
   Zrajm C Akfohg    www.come.to/dark   Tel:018-500911
   Uppsala, Sweden   [email protected]    ICQ:16769663

Back to archive top level