tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 17:20:33 1999

RE: KLBC: Proverbs

jatlh quljIb:
> mang Qupbogh jat jagmoH HIq; burghDaj tummoH yuch.
>
> "Ale emboldens a young warrior's tongue;
> chocolate quiets his stomach."

jIjatlh:
> grammatical mistake. <mang Qupbogh jat> means "The soldier's tongue which
is
> young". Since the *soldier* is the young one, you want either <mang Qup
jat>
> or <Qupbogh mang jat>.

jatlh quljIb:
> mang Qup jat jaqmoH HIq; burghDaj tammoH yuch.
> QaQ'a'?

maj.

jatlh quljIb:
> jev'e' yIghoHQo';

jIjatlh:
> <ghoH> is defined as "argue, dispute", so it (probably) can't take as an
> object the person you're arguing with. Instead of <ghoH>, I suggest either
> <SIQvIp> or <Haj>. Both seem to capture the spirit of the saying well, I
> think.

jatlh quljIb:
> peDta'DI' wam 'e' ngeDmoH law' ghaH.

jIjatlh:

> peDpu'DI, ngeDchoH chon.

jatlh quljIb:

> jev'e' yIHajQo'; peDpu'DI', ngeDchoH chon.
> QaQ'a' je?

maj.

jIjatlh:
> teH'a'? vengwIjDaq, tlhoS not peDmo', ngervam vItoblaHbe'.

jatlh quljIb:
> teHna'. vengDaq'e' bIyIn soH 'ach ngemDaq jIyIn jIH.
> peDpu'DI', peDlu'wI'Daq qamghItlhmey vIleghlaH.

I got the gist of it, but there were a few problems. <teH> is a verb, so it
can't take a noun suffix. Use <-bej> instead. You can't put two type five
suffixes on one noun, so <vengDaq'e'> is illegal. Instead of <vengDaq
bIyIn>, use <veng DaDab> - <Dab> is a verb from KGT meaning "dwell in/reside
at", and it's perfect for this situation. Same for <ngem vIDab>, of course.

In the second line, <peDpu'wI'Daq> (I also read your next message) just
doesn't work. It's not "in the snow"; it's "in that which snows". If you
really want to say "in the snow", you could say <chuch qutmeyDaq>, but
that's a bit odd. I'd probably say "on the ground" - <yavDaq>.
<qamghItlhmey> is also a bit odd for "footprints", but I'm too tired to come
up with another suggestion right now..

charghwI' posted an excellent response to this with an excellent explanation
of the same idea. It's worth looking at.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
http://www.bigfoot.com/dspeers/klingon/faq.htm