tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 15:54:48 1999

Re: Verb qualification suffixes

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:24:57 -0800 (PST) Zrajm C Akfohg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> De'vam yIlaD!
>   {jIyajlaw'}     "I apparently understand"
>                or "I think I understand"
>   {jIyajbe'law'}  "I apparently don't understand"
>                or "I think I don't understand"
>
> But I started to wonder about what {jIyajlaw'be'} would mean. "I don't
> apparently understand" sound ungrammatical to me, while "I don't think I
> understand" makes perfect sense (to me).

"It is not apparent that I understand." This is a bit of a
stretch, however. The truth is, some combinations of suffixes
don't make a lot of sense. The suffixes were built to perform
their function well. Their impressively large potential for
combination was not fully checked out (nor could it be without
an extraordinary focus on that which, even among Klingonists, as
rare as we are, rarely exist. Full exploration seems somewhat
misguided.

> What would be the best translation of {jIyajlaw'be'} into English?

"I do unapparently understand." Perhaps I'm pretending to be
stupid while spying.

> /maHvatlh, 'upSala'ngan
>
> --
>    Zrajm C Akfohg    www.come.to/dark   Tel:018-500911
>    Uppsala, Sweden   [email protected]    ICQ:16769663

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level