tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 10:20:57 1999

RE: KLBC: Proverbs

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh quljIb:
>
> > mang Qupbogh jat jagmoH HIq; burghDaj tummoH yuch.
>
> > "Ale emboldens a young warrior's tongue;
> > chocolate quiets his stomach."

> grammatical mistake. <mang Qupbogh jat> means "The soldier's tongue which is
> young". Since the *soldier* is the young one, you want either <mang Qup jat>
> or <Qupbogh mang jat>.

mang Qup jat jaqmoH HIq; burghDaj tammoH yuch.

QaQ'a'?

> > jev'e' yIghoHQo';
> <ghoH> is defined as "argue, dispute", so it (probably) can't take as an
> object the person you're arguing with. Instead of <ghoH>, I suggest either
> <SIQvIp> or <Haj>. Both seem to capture the spirit of the saying well, I
> think.
>
> > peDta'DI' wam 'e' ngeDmoH law' ghaH.
>
> Good use of perfective here, but I don't think the sky (or whatever the
> implied subject of <peD> is) can *intentionally* snow, so use <-pu'> instead
> of <-ta'>.
>
> The rest of the sentence is a bit weird. I assume the separate <law'> is a
> typo and meant to be a suffix (otherwise, I have *no idea* what it means).
> It looks like you're trying to say "it makes it easier to hunt", but it
> comes out awkwardly. To make it a bit clearer, take another look at your
> English - "hunting is easier". Instead of something involving <ngeDmoH>,
> just make the hunt the subject of plain old <ngeD>. I'd also add <-choH> -
> the hunting becomes easier as a result of the snow. Finally, trying to talk
> about an activity like hunting as a noun in Klingon is ... difficult. It
> probably involves a <-meH> clause, and it's often better to just rethink the
> whole sentence. In this case, though, we have a noun - <chon> - which means
> "hunt", and it's perfect here:
>
> peDpu'DI, ngeDchoH chon.
>
> > "Do not argue with the storm;
> > when it is finished snowing, hunting is easier."

jev'e' yIHajQo'; peDpu'DI', ngeDchoH chon.

QaQ'a' je?

> teH'a'? vengwIjDaq, tlhoS not peDmo', ngervam vItoblaHbe'.

teHna'. vengDaq'e' bIyIn soH 'ach ngemDaq jIyIn jIH.
peDpu'DI', peDlu'wI'Daq qamghItlhmey vIleghlaH.

quljIb

Back to archive top level