tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 17 06:00:48 1999

Re: Klingon Phonetics

jIja':
> >> So why didn't Picard become <pIqarID> or <pIqar>?
> >Because Klingons hear it as PEE-KARRDD, or {pIqarD}.

jang Alan Anderson:
> *** RED ALERT ***
>
> The Klingon {I} is not the "ee" sound.  It's the short "i" in the
> English word "pin" or "igloo".  To approximate a long "i" sound as in
> "margarita", it would have to be an {Iy} combination:  {pIyqarD}.

eeeeeeeeeeeh!!!!!
   DopDaq qul yIchenmoH ghobDI' ghu'!!

bIlughbej!
I think I was being too short in my explanation again. I know that the
{I} is like in "if" and not like "ee". I only wanted to say that terrans
say PEE-KARRD, and klingons - who have difficulties saying it like that
- say {pIqarD} (or at least write it that way).

French people cannot pronounce the H in "hello", so at the phone they
say "à l'eau"...

*** END RED ALERT ***  :-)

Quvar muHwI'

Back to archive top level