tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 23:36:57 1999

Re: Aspect

In a message dated 3/16/1999 9:24:29 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< ja' peHruS:
 >DumISmoH DIvI' Hol mu' {perfect} mu' {perfective} je 'e' vISIv.

 mu'mey'e' yIlonchu'.  qech'e' yIbuS.  maHvaD QIj tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom.

 >rapbe'.

 ramchu'.  not "perfect" lo' TKD.  "perfect" yIlIj.

 >"completion" 'oS mu' {perfect}; "internal temporal constituency of a
situation
 >or event" 'oS {perfective}.  "continuation" 'oSbej mu' {imperfective}
HochHom.
 >'ach "internal structure of the activity expressed by the verb" 'oSbej je
 >{imperfective}.  chaq ghu' {imperfective} Dalo'chu'.

 "internal temporal consistency"?  nuqjatlh?
 mISmoH neH mu'meyqoqvam.  Hov leng cham chatlh rur.
 Dapvam vISaHbe'.  tlhIngan Hol wIqeltaHvIS, potlh pab QIjbogh TKD neH.

 >maHvaD QIj TKD RLTrask
 >je:  "In English, perfective aspect is chiefly expressed by the simple past-
 >tense form (A Dictionary of Grammatical Terms in Linguistics, p.204).

 jISaHbe'chu' jay'!
 chay' muQaHlaH English pab qelbogh Trask, tlhIngan pab vIlo'taHvIS?

 -- ghunchu'wI' >>
tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom mu' {perfective} DalaD 'ach mu' {perfective} Dayajchu'be'
'e' vIQub.  HolQeD qelbogh latlh paqvo' mu' {perfective} QIjchu'meH
mu'tlheghmey puS vIlIngqa':  "The verbal category presented in this chapter
expresses what linguaists call aspect, that is, different ways of viewing a
situation.  The category of aspect is very different from that of tense:  a
marker of tense relates the time of the occurrence of the situation to the
time that situation is brought up in speech.

Aspect, on the other hand, refers, not to the time relation between a
situation and the moment of its being mentioned in speech, but, rather, to how
the situation itself is being viewed with respect to its own internal makeup.
To take an example, first let's look at an English sentence:  Rosco was
reading when I came in.  Here, two events are expressed in past tense.  The
first verbal complex, {was reading}, however, differs strikingly from the
second verbal complex, {came in}, in terms of the way the two situations are
viewed.  The second verbal complex presents the totality of the situation
referred to (the speaker's coming in) without reference to its internal
temporal constituency; the entire situation is viewed as a single,
unanalyzable whole.  When a language has special verbal forms to indicate this
viewing of an event in its entirety, we say that that form expresses
perfective aspect."

"An event is viewed in its entirety if it is bounded temporally, spatially, or
conceptually.  There are essentially four ways in which an event can be
bounded:

1)  By being a quantified event
2)  By being a definite or specific event
3)  By being inherently bounded because of the meaning of the verb
4)  By being the first even in a sequence"

The above is a selected verbatim quote from Li & Thompson in a book describing
functional grammar references (1981).

maj.  "completion of the verbs action" 'oSbe'bej mu' "perfective."  'oS mu'
"perfect." pItlh.

peHruS

Back to archive top level