tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 18:31:56 1999

RE: KLBC: An inspirational speech(Update)

ja' quljIb:
>pop? ta'? yay? I know these words not. Realize I'm still working with an
>outdated copy of TKD.

How outdated is it?  The small blue 1985 edition has {ta'} and {yay}
in both sides of the word lists; the larger white 1992 edition adds
{pop} "reward" in the addendum.

>Object-Verb-Subject! Object-Verb-Subject! Got to learn to back thinkwards!

NO!  Don't get yourself into the trap of thinking that it's "backwards".

There are two problems with that idea.  First, it is *not* a simple back
to front reading of the English words -- phrase order isn't necessarily
reversed, and adverbials [almost] always come before the verb.  Second,
as soon as you start to get comfortable with the OVS word order, you'll
keep finding yourself trying to turn *it* around if you've gotten your
brain fixated on the idea of the sentence being backwards.

English sentences don't always go in SVO order either.  Many questions
in English mess around with word order, and you'll get the Klingon grammar
wrong if you use the English order as a guide.

>> > maSuvDI' *jaghpu'majvo'* qang *'IwtIq'a'mey*.
>> Also, <qang> is a verb meaning "pour", but it means "pour something from one
>> container to another", as in pouring bloodwine into a glass. It cannot be
>> used for the kind of "pour" you want. Okrand has used <vIHtaHbogh bIQ> for
>> "running water"; perhaps you can use something similar.
>
>Thanks. My copy of TKD didn't have the right verb for the feeling I wanted
>to evoke.

Maybe {nIj} "leak" evokes the right feeling?  Toss {pe'vIl} "forcefully"
in front of it and see how it sounds.  But I suspect that you'll find the
verb {SoD} "flood" is very nearly perfect.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level