tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 14 16:26:56 1999

RE: KLBC: An inspirational speech(Update)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

> jatlh quljIb:
>
> > [Note: In the following speech, I've used a few "unorthodox"
> > word choices. These are marked by a "*" and are explained
> > folling the text.]
>

> > tlhIngan wo''a' yerghomey HurDaq, law' may'mey Suvbe'bogh.
> >  *'ej law' yuQmey charghbe'bogh.
> >   'ej law' quvmey tlhapbe'bogh.
>
> Suvbe' 'Iv? This is a perfect place for the indefinite subject suffix
> <-lu'>. I'd probably also go with <may'mey law' Suvbe'lu'> rather than <law'
> may'mey Suvbe'lu'bogh>, but if you're trying to be poetic and doing this for
> a reason, then go ahead.

Yeah, I was being just a tad poetic. So sue me. :-P

> I also don't like <quv> in the last line - <quv> is
> really more like my personal honor, and not something that I can take or
> capture or achieve. Perhaps <pop>, <ta'> or <yay> might be better. You may
> also have to adjust the verb to fit the noun. <yay chav> is probably your
> best bet.

pop? ta'? yay? I know these words not. Realize I'm still working with an
outdated copy of TKD.

> > SuvlaHbe'pu' may'meyvam 'e' lujatlh nuvpu' puSbogh.
> >   'ej charghlaHbe'pu' yuQmeyvam 'e' lujatlh.
> >   'ej tlhaplaHbe'pu' quvmeyvam 'e' lujatlh.
>
> Once again, the battles cannot fight themselves. <may'> should be the
> *object* of the verb <Suv>, not the subject: <may'meyvam SuvlaHpu' pagh>.
> <nuvpu' puSbogh> doesn't make sense. If you're using a verb like an English
> adjective, just put it after the noun it modifies: <nuvpu' puS>. If you
> really want to use a <-bogh> clause, the noun needs to be the *subject* of
> the verb: <puSbogh nuvpu'>.

Object-Verb-Subject! Object-Verb-Subject! Got to learn to back thinkwards!

> Also, <jatlh> is kind of a funny verb. It (probably) cannot be used with
> <'e'>. When quoting someone, the quotation can go before or after the
> <jatlh> sentence, and the quotation is NOT the object of the verb. I
> generally add <>'s as quotation marks for clarity, but that is certainly not
> necessary. Here's how it works:
>
> <may'meyvam SuvlaH pagh> jatlhpu' nuvpu' puS.
>
> You could also use a verb other than <jatlh>, like <maq>. Here's how I would
> do it:
>
> may'meyvam SuvlaHpu' pagh 'e' lumaq nuvpu' puS.

Okay, I wasn't certain about that.

> > luneppu' 'e' vIjatlh jIH.
>
> <nep> really doesn't make sense with an object, so you need to modify the
> prefix. Same comments as above about <jatlh>
>
> neppu' jIjatlh jIH.
>
> > maQam 'ej majen 'e' vIjatlh jIH.
>
> This is something like "We stand tall", qar'a'? This doesn't quite work. To
> start with, "tall" might be <jen>; it might be <runHa'>; it might be my
> personal speculation of <tIq>; or it might be something else entirely. We
> don't really know. Also, "stand tall" is an idiom that probably would not
> carry over well into Klingon. Here's my suggestion:
>
> maQamtaH 'ej maHemtaH jIjatlh jIH.

Noted.

> > may'meyqoq SuvlaHbe'bogh maSuv.
> >   'ej yuQmeyqoq charghlaHbe'bogh machargh.
> >   'ej quvmeyqoq tlhaplaHbe'bogh matlhap.
>
> Same comments about <may'> and <Suv>: you need a subject. Also, the prefix
> on the main verb sound be <DI-> instead of <ma->. This might also be a good
> time for some type 6 suffixes.
>
> may'meyqoq SuvlaHbogh pagh DISuvbej. . .
>
> > maSuvDI' *jaghpu'majvo'* qang *'IwtIq'a'mey*.
>
> Despite DloraH's comments, <'IwtIq> is really NOT a good idea. Even given
> this context, I still probably would have thought about "blood hearts"
> before figuring it out.

Ye Gods above, but I'm getting a lot of resistance to this one. (Honestly,
you write a few poetic lines and they throw you to the norghmey...)

> Also, <qang> is a verb meaning "pour", but it means "pour something from one
> container to another", as in pouring bloodwine into a glass. It cannot be
> used for the kind of "pour" you want. Okrand has used <vIHtaHbogh bIQ> for
> "running water"; perhaps you can use something similar.

Thanks. My copy of TKD didn't have the right verb for the feeling I wanted
to evoke.

> >   'ej macharghDI' lutmeyma' bom wo' jatDu'.
>
> lutmeymaj.
>
> >   'ej matlhapDI' mayH 'e' legh no'pu' mInDu'.
>
> Typo: <mayoH>. The prefix on <legh> should be <lu->. Also, <no'> is defined
> as "ancestors", which is inherently plural, so drop the <-pu'>.

Oops, missed that.

> > jaghDaq Ho'Du'raj tIcha'.
>
> This is not a very good use of <-Daq>. Use <-vaD> instead - it works
> perfectly.
>
> >   'ej yuQmey puj tIpej.
>
> yuQ naQ boQaw'chu''a'? Dajbej.
>
> >   'ej *tuqpu'ra'vaD* lut bomneSbogh tInob.
>
> Sorry, but a house is not capable of using language. <tuqmeyrajvaD>.

Conceded.

> > wo'vaD balth Qapla' je!!!
>
> This is not a complete sentence, but that's probably OK...

quljIb

Back to archive top level