tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 07 09:11:43 1999

RE: KLBC: A haiku

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Alan Anderson wrote:

> qon quljIb:
> >Here's a bit of poetry for the Bahai masters:
>
> nuqjatlh?  What does Bahai have to do with haiku?

I thought the Bahai masters were poets.

> >Hur bIr 'ej peDtaH
> >chIS HuD'a'mey Sormey je
> >jIH mubel peH chIS
>
> jang pagh:
> >majQa'! 'eybej. The only correction I have is in the last line: do you mean
> ><puH> rather than <peH>?
>
> pagh is apparently blinded by the beauty of the poetry -- he missed a
> couple of grammatical problems.  :-)
>
> There's something very odd about the first line.  The phrase {Hur bIr
> means "cold outside" and fits as a noun in a larger phrase.  The two
> words are probably reversed.  {bIr Hur} is a proper sentence meaning
> "the outside is cold."  You might be able to get away with saying
> {HurDaq bIr} "[it] is cold outside", but that has too many syllables
> for the poem.

<HurDaq bIr> -was- my first choice, but as you say, it doesn't fit the
syllable count. In addition, I thought Hur was one of those would that
don't neccesitate <-Daq>.

> I also get the feeling that {HuD'a'mey} should really be referring to
> a mountain range like the Andes or Himalayas.  If you just want to say
> "big mountains", {HuDmey tIn} might be more appropriate.

No, I did mean the mountaion range I can see from my window.

> {jIH mubel} tries to say something like "it is pleased me."  In order
> to fit grammatically in the last line, it has to be {mubelmoH} "it makes
> me pleased" or "it pleases me".

I'm always a bit ambiguous about the use of <-moH>; I've read quite a few
posts arguing over just that.

> I was leaning more towards interpreting the last words as {poH chIS}
> "white time", perhaps in reference to the snows of winter.

VERY POETIC!!! I missed that completely; the phrase I was going for was
"white land."

> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level