tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 12 12:11:33 1999

RE: KLBC beginner (was: Aspect)

jatlh Liam Boyle:

> nuqneH
> I would like someone to talk to in Klingon, it would have to be basic
> to start with, just a few phrases and stuff, I only know a very small
> amount, in fact just the first 3 verb types but I'm learning fast.
> If you would like to teach me please respond soon.

Welcome to the list, Liam. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention with a
KLBC in the subject line.

The Klingon Language Institute has a good page for getting started at
/kli/starting.html. Give it a look.

> Qapla

Qapla'. The <'> in Klingon is not punctuation; it's a full fledged letter.
It's pronounced by abruptly cutting off the sound before it. It's just like
the middle of "uh-oh".

> what would klingon strike force be? would it be
> tlhIngan mup raD

Not quite. <mup> and <raD> are both verbs, so they don't make any sense
here. Depending on what sort of strike force you're talking about, I would
probably say something like <tlhIngan may'Duj ghom> - Klingon battleship
group; <tlhIngan yot yo'> - Klingon invasion fleet; <tlhIngan HIvwI'
nawlogh> - Klingon attack squadron.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level